Thursday, December 24, 2015

Canvas Gift Bags

Last week, some of the ladies and I participated in a Christmas cookie exchange.  Since there were only seven of us, I decided to make each of them a little canvas bag to deliver my cookies in instead of the usual box or tin.  Here are the finished bags...


As mentioned, I used canvas to sew and line the bags.  They measured approximately 8" square.  I attached canvas handles to the sides to make them look more like small buckets.  For the front, I cut burlap to fit and frayed the edges slightly.  I made a simple tree stencil and, using left over cream colored paint, I applied the tree to each piece of burlap.  I used "heat 'n bond" to attach the burlap to the front of the bags.  No sewing!

 
I cut 1/4" birch slices and drilled a 1/16 inch hole in the top of each slice.  I then inserted a small eye screw.  Pre-drilling prevents the wood from splitting.  I then made another stencil...the number "25" and stenciled it to the wood slice using burnt umber craft paint.  I used jute twine to attach the wood slice to the canvas bag.


This was a fun and simple project and I hope the recipients enjoyed their gift bags and the cookies!  



Chocolate Cherry Thumbprint cookies with white chocolate.

(Yes, I know, I am a terrible photographer.  Honestly, I hate taking pictures and I have zero patience for it.  I try to make things look presentable, but I just don't like to take the time..I simply want to share my projects.  Sorry!)

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and all the best in 2016!  

Lesa


2 comments:

  1. Love the canvas bags, Lesa! And the cookies look yummy!
    Merry Christmas!

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great project and I was thinking how nicely you display the finished items in your pictures when I read that you hate that part! You shouldn't - you are great at it!

    ReplyDelete