Saturday, March 23, 2013

Ikea Pine Chest Makeover

I bought this pine chest from a local thrift store for $19.00.  It is a little beat-up but has alot of potential. 




I decided that I would try to make-it-over into an old painted chest by adding a bit of stain, paint and hardware.  Here is the result...




First I sanded it with 100-grit sandpaper.  I then applied a drak walnut stain to the surface.  Once the stain dried, I painted the chest with two coats of cream colored paint - "sandbar".  After the paint cured, I used my palm sander with 220-grit sandpaper and sanded the entire chest to removed some of the paint allowing the dark walnut color to show through.  After removing the sanding dust, I rubbed more dark walnut stain over the surface, removing any excess stain, to give the piece an aged look. 

I bought the galvanized hardware for $20.00 which included 2 handles, 8 -3/4" wide corner brackets and the latch.  I applied a spray primer to the hardware and then applied rubbed oil bronze paint.  I attached the hardware to the chest, first measuring for placement.



I still felt it was missing something so I scrounged through my husband's scrap metal buckets and bins and found this...



I have no idea what it is but I liked it, so I gave it a coat of rubbed oil bronze paint and secured it through the latch. 



I think it looks like a heart lock.  Anyway, I think it finishes off the chest. 





Now I will be using it as a coffee table in our apartment!

Just an update...my husband and I are relocated to Grande Prairie, Alberta.  We are keeping our current home in BC and renting a 2 bdrm, 1 bathroom apartment in Alberta.  I am going from 2300 sq. ft. to 825 sq. ft.!  Needless to say, I am only taking personal items and a few furniture pieces from our home...this chest being one of them!  Anyway, I guess I will be posting about my decorating adventures in an apartment!  Should be fun!!

Have a great weekend and thank you for stopping by...

Lesa

18 comments:

  1. Lesa, what a fabulous update. You are right, the heart bracket was a great idea.

    Sometimes I think that living in a smaller space would be ideal; less stuff means less stuff to worry about. Good luck with making your new apartment your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lesa,
    This is a great time of year to be heading further north - I hope you will have a great time living there! Can't wait to see what you can do with an apartment, good luck,
    Peggy
    p.s. love the trunk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the trunk, Lesa. What an awesome find.
    Looking forward to following your adventures in decorating your apartment. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great redo! I love it! I Would love to feature it if that would ok with you please let me know.
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great deal you got there...and it turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOOve this redo! I will so remember this one! thank you for sharing! I pray you have a great move!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a piece of art! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesa
    This turned out great ~ I love it! So prety and I love the new hardware.
    I visiting from Sugar Bee. I hope you can stop by my blog and leave a comment and Link Up!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    www.vmg206.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely gorgeous! Love the added hardware! Thank you for linking this up with Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really it is lovely.

    Desde el sur de España.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  11. fantasticooooo! HAPPY EASTER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAPPY EASTER!
    Thanks so much for linking to Make the Scene Monday @ Alderberry Hill. You are being featured later today!
    I hope you are having a wonderful Easter weekend, and join me this evening for Make the Scene Monday #68!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi lesa,
    your new coffee table is oh, so fantastic! i love that you we're able to give an "iffy-looking" piece such a wonderful new life. i would also like to ask what the flooring is that the coffee table is sitting upon? i just LOVE it and as looking for floors for my house.

    great job and thanks so much,

    ReplyDelete
  14. love, love LOVE your coffee table! your vision for the "ugly ducking" turned "STANDOUT STAR" is wonderous. if i might ask, what is the flooring in your house? i need new floors and look ths look of yours.

    great job and thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the trunk lesa! I am sure it will warm up your new apartment! Happy birthday sis!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. where did you get the hardware form

    ReplyDelete
  17. where did you get the hardware from

    ReplyDelete